24 January 2009

Every Season...

Lately, I have been listening to Nichole Nordman. I love her music. If you haven't listened to it, you seriously have not lived. Tonite, I have had the song, "Every Season" on repeat. Let me share with you the lyrics...


Every evening sky, an invitation
To trace the patterned stars
And early in July, a celebration
For freedom that is ours
And I notice You In children’s games
In those who watch them from the shade
Every drop of sun is full of fun and wonder
You are summer

And even when the trees have just surrendered
To the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and was to come
You are autumn

And everything in time and under heaven
Finally falls asleep
Wrapped in blankets white, all creation
Shivers underneath
And still I notice you
When branches crack
And in my breath on frosted glass
Even now in death, You open doors for life to enter
You are winter

And everything that’s new has bravely surfaced
Teaching us to breathe
What was frozen through is newly purposed
Turning all things green
So it is with You
And how You make me new
With every season’s change
And so it will be
As You are re-creating me
Summer, autumn, winter, spring


I have bolded and enlarged certain words and lines for certain reasons. It is what I am experiencing right now, in this season of my own life. So much has changed in the past 2 years. Well, really in the past 4. When I think of who i was just a few years ago...it's like night and day. In a good way. God has and continues to "recreate" me throughout every season. And I am AMAZED at the work he is doing. Right now, it is winter. and it is cold, and frozen, and bitter cold, and gray, and freezing cold. Things are dead and lifeless. And when winter is here (it seems like winter hangs around forever) i begin to feel dead and lifeless and gray and frozen and bitter and cold. But I love in this song when it says, "Even now in death, you open doors for life to enter, You are winter." I have seen and experienced that so much lately. Even when things seem so dark and dull, he has caused life to erupt from inside of me. I have incredible friendships which keep me alive, I have an awesome church that keeps me alive, a family that keeps me alive and a God who continually breathes new life into me very being. And I am so very thankful. I am so thankful that no matter what season I may be in, God is at work. Just because I tend to shut down during the winter doesn't mean God does. What an awesome God we serve!! I pray that this life bubbles over and is evident to the people I come in contact with. That I may be a light to those around me.

"A city on a hill cannot be hidden...in the same way, let your light shine bright before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven" Matthew 5:14-16.


May my light shine even in this dark gray winter. And while this winter may seem long, both physically outside, and spiritually, I can have such great hope because I know that spring is coming. New life will be made and "what is frozen through, is newly purposed." I am very thankful for a God who works during every season. Aren't you?

No comments: