per-se-ver-ance
[pur-suh-veer-uhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
2.Theology. continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation.
So, there you have it. The definition of perseverance from Dictionary.com. Steady persistance. Now, that is not that big of a deal. It is easy to be persistant in school in a math class if math is the easy subject. But, that is only the beginning of the definition. When I kept reading, my smile turned upside-down. Yeah, go read the difintion. Steady persistence IN SPITE OF DIFFICULTIES, OBSTACLES, OR DISCOURAGEMENT. yeah, I don't really like that part either.
Sometimes, I wish life was easier. If things were up to me, school would start ata 10, not, 7:20. There would be no homework, I would always get A's because I was a genius and didn't have to work at school. Everyone was nice. You know, all the classic things people wish for. Sometimes, I get into that mindset. That everything is wonderful and happy (I like make-believe). That mindset doesn't last long. I soon come back to reality and realize that life isn't like that. Bummer.
LIFE IS HARD!
But, still we need to push forward. Check out Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
Push everything out of you way and run with perseverance. Despite criticism and hardship and obstacles and discouragement.
"When you do hard things, people are going to critisize you." ~President Bush
But, surely, with God we can push past all that...right? Yes. But, is it easy. No. Keeping our goal in mind is hard. Especially when that goal is unseen right now. Remembering to wait until Heaven for our reward...HARD! But, we have been called to do that. And so many times we make excueses to get out of doing the hard stuff. Like, I will do it later...someone else can do it. Things like that. Now, check this out.
"And who am I, just a youth But why has that become the excuse..." "Revolutionaries" Bethany Dillon
Or, this quote, by my mother...
"Making excuses keeps us from doing what we are called to do."
How true are both of those things. I find myself daily passing up oppurtunities because I say I am too young or I make other lame excuses. Although, much of the time, it is fear. How many of you reading this have fear. I do. So much. I get afraid of what people will say. What if I mess up? What if I forget something, or don't have an answer to their questions...scary! But, friends, fear doesn nothing!!! IT ONLY HOLDS US BACK!
"'Cause it's been fear that ties me down to everythingBut it's been love, Your love, that cuts the strings...You make me wanna be brave..." "Brave" Nichole Nordeman
His love gives us strength and takes away fear. I wish I could get that thru my head! God is on our side. Man can do NOTHING!! Think about this...the creator of the UNIVERSE the almighty God, MY GOD is on my side. Who can harm me. So, I need to not be afraid.
So my friends, run this race with perseverance, don't make excuses, and fear not!!! Jesus is for you and loves you more than you know!! I need to remember that too! If only. We say that, but, without hardship, we couldn't have this amazing relationship with Christ. So, be thankful in the hardship and know that thru these storms, God is holding you close!! Much love and prayers...
07 September 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment